Learn how landscape lighting for retaining walls can turn the mundane into a stunning architectural feature
For many, a retaining wall is just an ugly necessity that should be hidden as much as possible. However, what if we told you that with a bit of strategic lighting, we could transform that utilitarian eyesore into an elegant feature of your landscape? When done right, landscape lighting for retaining walls can strike a balance between aesthetics and structural functionality.
Long Island homeowners want to make sure that their property looks great while being protected from the elements that come with coastal living. Long Island’s location on the eastern seaboard creates soil conditions that homeowners must take into account when building structures or maintaining their properties.
Retaining walls can be an effective strategy to mitigate the risks of degradation from soil erosion. However, without the help of an experienced landscape designer that gives attention to beauty as much as function, it can be easy to end up with a concrete monolith that dominates the landscape. In this article, we’ll look at why retaining walls are critical and how to use lighting to give them a high-quality appearance.
The importance of retaining walls for Long Island properties
Soil erosion on Long Island is a major challenge. The soil in some areas, specifically along the southern shore, can have high sand concentrations that make them exceptionally vulnerable during rainstorms or flooding. Even areas away from the shorelines can contain heavy loam soil which can be highly erosive.
Fortunately, property owners can build structures that can withstand the elements and protect their property from erosion. Retaining walls can help channel water to support good drainage and flood control. They also support soil compaction and help reduce erosion which can cause serious damage to foundations, pools, and other structures.
Using lighting to create stunning (and safer) retaining walls
While retaining walls are a key element of protecting a property from structural damage caused by erosion, they can also be an eyesore if poorly executed or designed. Fortunately, some design elements like lighting can transform them into high-end architectural elements.
Benefits of landscape lighting for retaining walls:
- Lighting elements can help break up the large surface area of retaining walls. This is important when the wall is predominantly constructed of monochromatic materials.
- Light fixtures can be used to tie the design of the retaining wall to the other design or architectural elements of the home.
- Improve safety by providing illumination along walkways. This helps your family and guests navigate the property at night, especially where there are steps or potential tripping hazards.
- Enhance security on the property by improving lighting.
- Better functionality of outdoor patios and entertainment areas for guests to enjoy long into the evening hours.
- Homes with well-placed landscape lighting have more curb appeal.
Work with the experts that Long Island residents trust
At Mahoney Associates, our team of experts is dedicated to helping you protect your property from soil erosion. Our full-services landscaping firm is equipped to provide you with stunning landscaping designs, masonry work, and lighting that will improve your property and impress your neighbors. Contact us today to find out more about how we can build or transform your retaining wall. 631.287.7666